Well we already use the gzip compression that is built into Apache since that
works in tandem with the client too.
http://betterexplained.com/articles/how-to-optimize-your-site-with-gzip-compression/

The point of minification is to remove comments, commented sections, optimize
the code by removing closing tags when not needed (</p> or <br/>), strip
unnecessary white space, etc.. there is more to it than just squeezing bits
which is what LZO or GZIP do. They work in conjunction with each other.