On 7/28/2013 1:26 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
On 07/28/2013 12:14 PM, iccsi wrote:
<form action="action.php" method="post">
</form>In the PHP tutorial manual, it says that we can have post
action to the form itself just like above coding.I would like to know
in the real projects, can we have action to the same PHP file, since
that we only need have one filebut not 2 files foe POST request,Your
help and information is great appreciated,regards,Iccsi,

"Real" projects to all kinds of things.  Which is best depends on who
you ask. :-)

I would argue that there's 3 "good" approaches, both of which are viable:

1) Define your form abstractly via an API, and have the API detect the
presence of POST request and then process the form after it's built.
That means you do submit back to the same URL.  (Drupal 7 and earlier do
this.)

2) Put 2 separate request handlers / controllers at the same path, one
for GET and one for POST.  So you submit back to the same URL but an
entirely different piece of code responds to it.  (This requires a good
routing system that can differentiate between GET and POST.)

3) Every form is defined as its own object somewhere with a unique ID.
All forms post to the same URL but include the form ID.  Code at that
URL looks up the form object by ID and maps the submitted data to it to
know what to do with it.

Note that in all 3 cases you're defining a form via an API of some
kind.  You are not writing form tags yourself.  Don't do that. Ever.  I
promise you that you will have a security hole or six if you do.  Use a
good form handling API for building forms.  That's what good "Real"
projects do.  There are a lot out there.  Most fullstack frameworks or
CMSes have one built in (I know Drupal and Code Ignighter do, although
they're quite different), and there are reasonably stand-alone
components available in both Symfony2 Components and Zend Framework.
Please don't write your own.  There are too many good ones (and even
more bad ones, of course) already out there that have been security
hardened.

--Larry Garfield
Never write your own form? I'm guilty - oh, so guilty. What exactly is a 'security hardened' form?

IN answer to OP - yes you can use a single script to handle your from return. I do that too! I start by recognizing my first time thru and send out a form/page. I process the submit back from that page, doing something based on the label of the submit button that I detect. I may then do some more processing and produce a newer version of the same form/page and repeat. Or I may end it all at that point. Depends on what the overall appl is doing.

And now I'll watch and see how much I'm doing wrong.