Assuming you don't have to be exact, somthing similar to this might work.

Assign each kid to a host family randomly
for each kid, check how frequently it has been combined with the kids in
its assigned family.
if it is too close, swap with a different family
when all kids in that family are processed, move on to the next family and
repeat, excluding the first family for swapping. do the same for all
families excluding the previous families. when you have completed all
families, do another iteration or two of the whole process.

Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

Serge Fonville

http://www.sergefonville.nl