> I have found that I can still use my customer save_handler with the
> session.save_handler in the php.ini being set to 'files'.  Since I
> implemented this function, we noticed that our other applications that do
> not call session_set_save_handler started having the following error:
> "Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in backend.php on line
27

Somebody as OSCON was describing the same behaviour Wednesday in the PHP
guru room, I think...  Or was that you?  Hi again, if so. :-)

Maybe try using .htaccess files in each application's directory and:

php_value session.save_handler user
php_value session.save_handler files

in the appropriate directories.

> Warning: Failed to write session data (user). Please verify that the
current
> setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in backend.php on line 0"
>
> line 27 of backend.php is a simple session_start();
>
> The /tmp is not full and is fully writable.  It seems that when the 3
custom
> session applications are in use, that this error starts popping up in
other
> session applications.
>
> Is my call to a session_set_save_handler somehow "changing" the php.ini
for
> a bit?  It's like the custom session application is setting the
> session.save_handler to 'user' for all other sessions.

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis...

PHP is doing its best to do what you want, but you've confused it thoroughly
by calling session_set_save_handler() with the "files" setting in php.ini --
Those two together is basically just not kosher, so it's trying to do what
you said, only you've confused it.

You should be able to throw in a <?php phpinfo();?> to see what the
master/local values for session.save_handler is at various points, but the
change on the fly may not be shown there if your theory is correct.  It
*SHOULD* show the .htaccess alterations suggested above, though, and I'm
hoping that by setting it up correctly in advance for each appliation, it
will all work out right.

--
WARNING [EMAIL PROTECTED] address is an endangered species -- Use
[EMAIL PROTECTED]