That's quite a rational response...

The most common problem people have when building GD support is that they
download their own version of GD, but leave the system version of GD and
PHP picks up the system header files instead of the desired ones and
things get confused.

Building PHP with GD on RH-6.2 should be quite trivial once you sit down
and have a look at the error messages and the config.log file and work out
why you are getting the clashes.

-Rasmus