I just can not seem to figure this out.

If i have a pattern 'arc' and I want to search the string:
"an arc is an archer, but what about marc and darcy?"

How can I find out how many occurances of arc is within that string?  I know
I can do an explode and then compare it, but when you have huge amounts of
text... is this the best way?  Or is there something better?  Any help would
be great I have been struggling with this for awhile, since I really do not
want to explode, pun intended :)

Rick