Bear with me, new to PHP and got a beginner's questions

How do I run an if statement and the if statement compares a String?

IN ASP (yes I Know, ASP is evil) I would have wrote

if (String(Request("Action"))=="Submit")
      do this

In PHP I have tried

if ($Action == "Submit")  but I get a parse error in that statement.
What am I doing wrong?  Thank you.  I did an echo $Action to confirm
that it's value is Submit.