i would think you could just use crypt() to check the pass against what you
read in from the file

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley M. Kirchner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 2:27 AM
To: PHP-General List
Subject: [PHP] Login verification

    I want to make a login page in PHP, which will check the
user/password against the system's user/password file (in my case,
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.)  With the machine running PAM, how can I
have PHP do this?

    Keep in mind I don't need to modify anything, just verify the
login.  Once verified, the script either continues on to doing other
things, or it bombs with a bad login page.

--
H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130