To answer your first question, some search engines, such as Google,  will
crawl URLs that contain GET variables.  Others will not.  There is a way
around this by creating links such as index.php?/Men/Shirts/Blue/XLarge and
using the $PATH_INFO variable to parse the URL and spit out the needed
variables.

As for your second question, I can think of no legitimate reason to use flat
files rather than a database.  If you switch hosts you can easily transfer
the database as well as the scripts.  Most hosts have MySQL and if they
don't they just are not worth using.  Hosts are a dime a dozen these days
and you can easily find some that have MySQL.