> Basically I want to be able to test that the db is running and if it isn't
> then I want to 'run' it. Platform is NT, server is IIS4

It's a database, right? So surely it should be running as an NT service, in
which case it should be set to start automatically when the computer starts.
Your best bet to test for the existence is to try and connect to it with a
known good username and password - if that fails, it's likely that the
service isn't running.

If it's not running automatically and all the time, then you don't have a
database server, you have a computer that happens to have database software
installed on it, in which case you should change your ISP. You can't use the
key inside the locked box to unlock the box.

Cheers
Jon

'The information included in this Email is of a confidential nature and is
intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether
inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality'