You know, I tried that, it it STILL didn't work. Then, after remembering
to reboot my brain, I took a look at the smarts.sql that my ISP kindly
dumped for me, to see what code/statements it might be missing--and lo
and behold!--it didn't have a USE database; statement! Adding this one
wee line made all the difference in the world. Your suggestions(s) work;
I can now restore my database locally.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience! (And my apologies for
posting off-topic oh PHP--I've been suitably chastised, and will
remember to name the subject OT: next time I feel tempted to ignore
netiquette.)

...Rene

On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 10:56  AM, Ernesto wrote:

> You should try:
>
> mysql -u username -p password database < dump.sql
>
> Example:
>
> mysql -u joe -p mypass smarts < smarts.sql
>

> René Fournier wrote:
>
>> Little problem with MySQL 3.23.46 under Windows ME. I'm trying to
>> create a database from an .sql file (the dumped remains of a
>> functioning database--also MySQL). The dumping was easy, but I'm
>> having a problem putting it back. I have a dumped file called
>> smarts.sql that starts this way:
>> ---------
>> # MySQL dump 8.14
>> #
>> # Host: localhost    Database: smarts
>> #--------------------------------------------------------
>> # Server version    3.23.38
>> #
>> # Table structure for table 'about'
>> #
>> CREATE TABLE about (
>>   id smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
>>   lang char(2) default NULL,
>>   recordname varchar(40) default NULL,
>>   key1 tinytext,
>>   key2 tinytext,
>>   status varchar(10) default NULL,
>>   title tinytext,
>>   par1 tinytext,
>>   PRIMARY KEY  (id)
>> ) TYPE=MyISAM;
>> #
>> # Dumping data for table 'about'
>> #
>> INSERT INTO about VALUES (1,'en','about'
>> -----------(and so on)
>> This is what I'm doing to try to recreate the database locally:
>> 1. I type "mysqladmin create smarts"
>> OK--I see a new directory called "smarts" (no files in it)
>> 2. I type "mysql smarts < smarts.sql"
>> It pauses for a few seconds (seeming to input the file), then returns
>> the DOS prompt with no message, error or otherwise. Seems to have
>> worked, right? But when I check the 'smarts' database directory, there
>> are no files in it. (Incidentally mysqld is running.)
>> What am I doing wrong??
>> ...Rene
---
René Fournier