Yes, I do reference the image filename in the database.. regardless of where
I save it.  That is not the issue.

The problem is that I can not save the image in a location where I can
access it via a URL (ie. http://www.mydom.com/images/myimage.jpg).  If I
could then there would be no problem.  But I am advised to keep the
directory permissions of the public HTML directory set to 755 which means
that any script excecuting within that directory inherits the user
permissions (can read, can't write, can execute).  "Can't write" is the
clincher.

I can save the images outside the public html directory but then I can not
grab the image via a URL.  The only way to access the image is to fopen and
fread it to the client browser which means that I must set the header
("Content-type image/jpeg"), which means that I can not display HTML on the
same page.

It's a catch22..  I can't display an uploaded image along with HTML on the
same page unless it is uploaded to a public directory.  I can not upload toa
public directory unless I CHMOD it to 777.  I am not allowed to CHMOD the
directory so I have to save the images outside the public html directory.  I
can not display an uploaded image along with HTML when I have to fread() the
file to the screen.

**pant pant**

There will be thousands of images (4000 - 5000 when complete) and it has
been advised to me not to save them in a MySQL database as it can
significantly reduce search times.  Is this true?

-Kevin Stone

> Presumably, each item in the catalog has a unique id of some sort in
> the database. When you upload the images, you can rename the image
> file to image_(unique_id).jpg. Then when you load a page, you can
> reference the item next to the image.
>
> This is only one way to do it, of course. You could also store the
> image names in another database and link the tables when calling the
> data for the jewelry.
>
> jim
>

> >I have written a simple image uploading system to go along with a simple
> >database.  This will be a part of a publiclay accessable search engine
for a
> >jewelry companie's web site.  Almost every entry has a corresponding
image.
> >But that was the easy part...  The problem now is that I need to display
the
> >images next to the corresponding info on the same page.
> >
> >I do not know much about UNIX permissions but I am strongly advised to
keep
> >the permission settings on the public-html directory set to 0755 at the
very
> >least.  Since the PHP script inhereits user permissions (and not the
Owner's
> >permission)  this means that I can not upload the files to the
Public-html