Good advice -- I hadn't thought of that (echoing right beneath the
setcookie() function).  But then i thought of something else... how can
I echo text before the "<html>" tag?  So I put a third setcookie()
function above the <html> tag

setcookie("foo", "echobar")

hoping that this would be very simple -- set a cookie with the value of
"echobar", then later (in the <body> of the page) add

echo "<p>$foo</p>" ;

Well, it didn't work either, unfortunately.  "echobar" didn't appear on
my page.  And I'm not getting any errors, either....

So the answer to no. 1 is now yes, but the cookie didn't get sent.
No. 2, I tried a sort of test (but the one you suggest gave me an error
message b/c it's trying to echo text in the headers or something).
No. 3, no errors.

I'm still reading the www.php.net page on setcookie()... hoping for
something that says that perhaps my browser is the source of the problem.

Erik