I don't believe that the system variables are available to php.  I work on
*nix mostly, but I have a windows machine at home running php and I can't
access any of my system var's.
----- Original Message -----
From: "charlesk " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 11:33 AM
Subject: [PHP] Exec as user

> I have been looking through the docs and found no help on either finding
which user the EXEC'ed commands run as, or how to specify which user they
should run as.  I tried exec, system, and passthru running a batch file that
would write %USERNAME% to a file.  And all three functions wrote nothing.
They would however write "hello world".  Has anybody else run into this.

> I tried exec("test.bat");
> test.bat:
> echo %USERNAME% > test.txt
>
> when run from a command line it resulting in "Charles"
> when run from a webpage it resulted in "ECHO is on."
> if I added a line "echo off" above the echo username it resulted in "ECHO
is off." again only from the webpage.

> In essense I need to update a DNS server through a web page.  It works if
the script is local but not if it has to update a different server.