php-general Digest 30 Dec 2001 01:45:34 -0000 Issue 1081

Topics (messages 79014 through 79042):

Re: Session troubles
        79014 by: Miles Thompson
        79017 by: Sean LeBlanc
        79018 by: David Jackson
        79022 by: Sean LeBlanc
        79023 by: David Jackson
        79026 by: Sean LeBlanc
        79028 by: David Jackson

Re: Windows 2000 Browse/upload problem
        79015 by: Zeev Suraski

PHP + GD 2.0.1 + WIN2K
        79016 by: Fredrik Arild Takle

php-4.1.0 and tomcat 4.x
        79019 by: Vincent Stoessel
        79031 by: Vincent Stoessel

Real Simple, but i'm new!!
        79020 by: FiShcAkE

how to create html tables in php
        79021 by: Sander Peters
        79025 by: DL Neil

Re: WebServer
        79024 by: Brent Rieck
        79029 by: LaserJetter

Re: File upload memory useage.
        79027 by: Jim Lucas [php]

pdflib
        79030 by: Kunal Jhunjhunwala
        79038 by: Brian Clark
        79040 by: Kunal Jhunjhunwala
        79042 by: Brian Clark

another tomcat 4.01 problem
        79032 by: Vincent Stoessel

Templating solutions?
        79033 by: Lauri Vain
        79034 by: Bogdan Stancescu
        79035 by: David Jackson
        79036 by: David Jackson

How to copy a substring of a string
        79037 by: Carlos Fernando Scheidecker Antunes
        79039 by: Gerard Onorato

Re: Security bulletin?
        79041 by: Brian Clark

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Sean,

What's going on in incl.php. Are you issuing a session_start()?

What if it's rearranged like so, as I understand you have to register the session
variable
before using it.

include("incl.php");
session_start();
session_register("mine");
$mine++;
echo $mine;

There's the divide and conquer approach too.  What do you see if you comment out the
include,
then issue a phpinfo() and a die()?

HTH and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year - Miles Thompson

On Friday 28 December 2001 11:26 pm, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> I asked this on php-install list, but got no response so here goes...
>
> I simply cannot get session to work correctly. Here's the test script:
>
> include("incl.php");
> session_start();
> $mine++;
> session_register("mine");
> echo $mine;
>
> incl.php includes code to save/retrieve session information to/from DB.  It
> calles session_set_save_handler at the end.
>
> What happens is I get an error because it is trying to read the variable
> out and I get a DB error, but my session writing routine is never
> called...I know, because I have a print in there. And of course, the var
> doesn't increment upon refreshes - it remains 1.
>
> I've seen this before, and it was fixed, but I forget how it was done, as I
> didn't actually implement the solution (I hear and I forget, I do and I
> remember, I guess). About my system:
>
> FreeBSD 4.4
> Apache 1.3.20
> PHP 4.0.6
>
> Any and all help appreciated.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 12-29 09:59, Miles Thompson wrote:
> Sean,
>
> What's going on in incl.php. Are you issuing a session_start()?

No, I was not.

> What if it's rearranged like so, as I understand you have to register the session
>variable
> before using it.
>
> include("incl.php");
> session_start();
> session_register("mine");
> $mine++;
> echo $mine;

No dice, either. Actually, I had tried several permutations of the order  before
posting. :)

> There's the divide and conquer approach too.  What do you see if you comment out the
>include,
> then issue a phpinfo() and a die()?

Okay, I tried commenting out include, resulting in this code:

session_start();
session_register("i");
$i++;
echo $i;

When I run the above, I get this:
Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 6

Which is getting somewhere, in a way. Line 6 is session_start();

What part from phpinfo() output were you interested in? Or did you want to
see all of it?

Thanks for the help.

--
Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sean --
Don't know if this help but here's what I just worked for me.
What ver. of PHP are you using? It seem to me that 3.x.x needs
PHPLIB: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplib
to handle sessions?  -- David Jackson

--- sean.php -------
<?php include("seaninc.php"); ?>

--- seaninc.php ------
<?php
session_start();
session_register("i");
$i++;
echo $i;
?>

--

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 12-29 12:56, David Jackson wrote:
> Sean --
> Don't know if this help but here's what I just worked for me.
> What ver. of PHP are you using? It seem to me that 3.x.x needs
> PHPLIB: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplib
> to handle sessions?  -- David Jackson
>
> --- sean.php -------
> <?php include("seaninc.php"); ?>
>
> --- seaninc.php ------
> <?php
> session_start();
> session_register("i");
> $i++;
> echo $i;
> ?>

I'm using 4.0.6. I believe session handling was added as part of standard
4.x, right (if configured to compile it)?

Some more info: I tried with Konqueror, as I know a cookie needs to be sent
during the session_start() phase - I did get a dialog pop-up asking if I
wanted to accept the cookie, but I still got the error:

Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2

It says line 2 because I deleted some white space and commented out
code thas was before session_start().

I set logging errors on, and sent it to syslog. Here's what it says:
Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Failed to initialize session
module in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2
Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Warning:  Failed to write session data
(user). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is
correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

But /tmp exists, and is world writeable:

free# ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt  16 root  wheel  1024 Dec 29 12:14 /tmp

> > On 12-29 09:59, Miles Thompson wrote:
> >> Sean,
> >>
> >> What's going on in incl.php. Are you issuing a session_start()?
> >
> > No, I was not.
> >
> >> What if it's rearranged like so, as I understand you have to register
> >> the session variable  before using it.
> >>
> >> include("incl.php");
> >> session_start();
> >> session_register("mine");
> >> $mine++;
> >> echo $mine;
> >
> > No dice, either. Actually, I had tried several permutations of the
> > order  before posting. :)
> >

> >> There's the divide and conquer approach too.  What do you see if you
> >> comment out the include, then issue a phpinfo() and a die()?
> >
> > Okay, I tried commenting out include, resulting in this code:
> >
> > session_start();
> > session_register("i");
> > $i++;
> > echo $i;
> >
> > When I run the above, I get this:
> > Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
> > /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 6
> >
> > Which is getting somewhere, in a way. Line 6 is session_start();
> >
> > What part from phpinfo() output were you interested in? Or did you want
> > to see all of it?
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >

> >> HTH and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year - Miles Thompson

> > --
> > Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
> > ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
> > One learns to itch where one can scratch.
> > -Ernest Bramah
> > Management QOTD:Get hopping on the domain expertise!!
> >

> > --
> > To contact the list administrators, e-mail:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable. Then
howcome people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
-Hasse Skrifvars
Management QOTD:Work out a solution that fits with problem management!!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sean --
Do you get the same errors, with Netscape 4.x?

--

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 12-29 15:10, David Jackson wrote:
> Sean --
> Do you get the same errors, with Netscape 4.x?

Yep. The very same. I've tried Galeon, Mozilla, Netscape 4.x, and Konqueror.
They all result in the same error.

> > On 12-29 12:56, David Jackson wrote:
> >> Sean --
> >> Don't know if this help but here's what I just worked for me.
> >> What ver. of PHP are you using? It seem to me that 3.x.x needs
> >> PHPLIB: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplib
> >> to handle sessions?  -- David Jackson
> >>
> >> --- sean.php -------
> >> <?php include("seaninc.php"); ?>
> >>
> >> --- seaninc.php ------
> >> <?php
> >> session_start();
> >> session_register("i");
> >> $i++;
> >> echo $i;
> >> ?>
> >
> > I'm using 4.0.6. I believe session handling was added as part of
> > standard 4.x, right (if configured to compile it)?
> >
> > Some more info: I tried with Konqueror, as I know a cookie needs to be
> > sent during the session_start() phase - I did get a dialog pop-up
> > asking if I wanted to accept the cookie, but I still got the error:
> >
> > Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
> > /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2
> >
> > It says line 2 because I deleted some white space and commented out
> > code thas was before session_start().
> >
> > I set logging errors on, and sent it to syslog. Here's what it says:
> > Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Failed to initialize
> > session module in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2
> > Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Warning:  Failed to write session data
> > (user). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is
> > correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0
> >
> > But /tmp exists, and is world writeable:
> >
> > free# ls -ld /tmp
> > drwxrwxrwt  16 root  wheel  1024 Dec 29 12:14 /tmp

> >> --
> >>

> >> --
> >> To contact the list administrators, e-mail:
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > --
> > Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
> > ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
> > In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable. Then
> >  howcome people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
> > -Hasse Skrifvars
> > Management QOTD:Work out a solution that fits with problem management!!
> >

> > --
> > To contact the list administrators, e-mail:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
Teddy bears: They don't eat your food, dance with your date, or trump your ace
lead.
-Garfield (Jim Davis)
Management QOTD:This is like the first lap of a four-lap race. We all have to
stop thrashing and take a broad horizontal view across the
realistic goals.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sean --

Give the attached scripts a shot, a post the results.

Note: Xitami(server+WinMe) + IE5.5 or Mozilla 9.7 works
fine but with Netscape-4.9 it returns var names? But
when served from Unix/Linux and Apache all 3 work as expected !!

Anywhy give them shot. -- David

--- form.html ---
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>
  <title>No title</title>
</head>

<form method="post" action="form.php">

</form>

--- form.php ----

<?php
// sessions  on 48 N. Random Rd.
session_start();
session_register('Green');
session_register('Yellow');
session_register('Red');
$Green  =  $stuff;
$Yellow = $more_stuff;
$Red = $still_more_stuff;

// basic echo of var from form
echo "We've just echoed var from form\n";
echo "<p>$Green</p>";
echo "<h2>$Yellow</h2>";
echo "<h3>$Red</h3>";
echo "<p><a href=\"form02.php\">Verify that session_vars were
passwd</a></p>";
// Get out of here

?>

--- form02.php -------------
<?php
session_start();
// sessions  on 48 N. Random Rd.
// basic echo of var from form
echo "<body>";
echo "<h2>session_registers:";
echo "<p>Green:$Green</p>";
echo "<p>Yellow:$Yellow</p>";
echo "<p>Red:$Red</p>";
echo "</body></html>";
?>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Check the value of the upload_tmp_dir php.ini entry.  That's the dir that
PHP would use for storing uploaded files.  It can be the same as
session.save_path, but it doesn't have to be...

If it's not set, PHP would use the system-defined TEMP directory, which is
E:\WINNT\TEMP on your system (apparently).

Zeev

At 13:33 29/12/2001, Ben Edwards wrote:
>[Sorry if this is a re-post but I have been having some email problems and
>cant find original in the archive]
>
>I have a PHP application that is working fine on my Windows 98 system but
>when I try it on my Windows 2000 setup (which has recently had PHP/MySQL
>installed) there is a problem.  When I post from a form with a Browse/File
>field when I check to see if the temp file exists it douse not.  This
>check is being done in the page being posted to. The strange thing is that
>the file the varable is set to is something like E:\WINNT\TEMP\phpD4.tmp
>and I thought PHP used tmp (E:\tmp is where the session data is held).
>
>Any idea what is wrong.
>
>Regards,
>Ben

>* Ben Edwards                            +44 (0)7970 269 522 *
>* Homepage                http://www.gifford.co.uk/~bedwards *
>* i-Contact Progressive Video    http://www.videonetwork.org *
>* Smashing the Corporate image     http://www.subvertise.org *
>* Bristol's radical news            http://www.bristle.co.uk *
>* PGP : F0CA 42B8 D56F 28AD 169B  49F3 3056 C6DB 8538 EEF8   *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have a win2k machine set-up with iis 5.0, php 4.1.0 and now I want to use
image_copy_resample()

image_copy_resample() is not working in the version of gd included in php
4.1.0.

Where should I download the .dll for version 2.0.1?

Regards
Fredrik A. Takle

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am trying to get php compiled as a servlet. In the past (tomcat 3.x days)
one would point  the php configure option (--with-servlet  )to the location of the
servlet.jar
Tomcat 4 seems to have many many servlet jars and I cannot seem to find the correct one
to link against. Is Sam Ruby still out there somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
--
Vincent Stoessel [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java Linux Apache Mysql Php (JLAMP) Engineer

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
found the answer:
point to $TOMCAT_HOME/common

--
Vincent Stoessel [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java Linux Apache Mysql Php (JLAMP) Engineer
(301) 362-1750 Mobile (410) 419-8588
AIM, MSN: xaymaca2020 , Yahoo Messenger: vks_jamaica

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey,

I've just started learning php and I need to know this...  What are the
commands I use to get i.e.  index.php?links   and  index.php?news    to
work?
I have a site, with the menu down one side, and I need to have the
index.php?news
link to a "news.php" page, etc. etc.   I hope this makes
sense to someone, I think it does to me?!?!?

Lee...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

I made a database with bookmarks, these bookmarks are catogarized by
type.
Now I want to display those bookmarks in tables by category. This works
already fine.
The only problem I have is that the tables are very difficult to handle.

I want to make 4 tables in a row (so that will be 4 dif categories with
bookmarks) and after that, the next table should start under the first
one.
Like this

category        category        category        category
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx

category        category        category        category
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx

(xxxxx = a weblink ;-)

The (dutch)  website where you can find a full example for what I mean:
http://www.startpagina.nl/

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanx!

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With Greetings,

Sander Peters

   site: http://www.visionnet.nl/
  email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
webmail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Sander,

> I made a database with bookmarks, these bookmarks are catogarized by
> type.
> Now I want to display those bookmarks in tables by category. This works
> already fine.
> The only problem I have is that the tables are very difficult to handle.
>
> I want to make 4 tables in a row (so that will be 4 dif categories with
> bookmarks) and after that, the next table should start under the first
> one.
> Like this
>
> category        category        category        category
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
>
> category        category        category        category
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
>

> (xxxxx = a weblink ;-)
>
> The (dutch)  website where you can find a full example for what I mean:
> http://www.startpagina.nl/

The description (above) shows category-columns of a regular/uniform length/height, so
that the second set of
four category headings all appear on the same line. The web page example does not look
like this, but the next
category starts immediately under the last entry of its columnar predecessor...

How are you retrieving the bookmarks from the database - all in one query, or a series
of queries to retrieve a
category at a time? (I'll assume the former)

Here are two ways to implement in PHP (depending upon how you want to 'visualise' the
data):
1 table - see the data as four columns
Set up a two-dimensional array in RAM, and by working through the db-resultset a row
at a time populate the
table with column-row data by working down each column until the category changes and
then shifting over one
column, etc, then print the table with two (nested) loops to output one row at a time
across the columns until
all of the table data has been dealt with. (You could view the resultset as a 'buffer'
and really get
complicated to 'save' RAM, but my advice would be to get the above working first, and
then try any optimisation
ideas)
2 resultset
View the resultset as a single column of bookmarks (or read it into a single
one-dimensional array), depending
upon your chosen db and PHP's retrieval mechanism you could set up four 'pointers'
into the resultset - one for
each column, then read one result-row from each of the four pointers (incrementing as
you go) to immediately
output within each of the four output columns.

Programmatically, it would be a lot easier to implement the flow the categories
horizontally, eg
category         xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx
category         xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
                     xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx
category         xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx        xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx

Enough to get you going?

Regards,
=dn

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ricardo,
  I'd bet that behind a 256kbps connection you'll run out of bandwidth
long before you run out of CPU, memory, or disk on any machine that
costs more than about $500USD - but your mileage may vary depending on
your application.  My personal experience is that behind my DSL
connection, I run out of bandwidth far before I run out of CPU and
memory on my PII 233 that's running a reasonably complex web app with
heavy DB usage.

--Brent

On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 05:30, rick wrote:

> Dear Members  ,
>
>                           Does anybody of you have a webserver at home
> using ADSL or other connections ?
>
> If any , could you tell me What would be the acceptable Hardware to run
> 5 or more sites  at home with an
> 256 k ADSL ? (Memory , proccesor , etc etc )
>

> Do I have to have Two Servers ? (The WebServer ) and the Intranet Server
> to access through my computer ?
>
> Would you help me please in a near future with a few questions about how
> to set up and so on .....???
>

> Thanks  guys in advance
>
> Ricardo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
AOL UK say their ADSL service isnt good for hosting because it is
asymmetrical: you can download data faster than you can send it out which is
fine for surfing the net but not so useful for running a server.(I just
think AOL dont want people hosting servers using their service though!)
We have a PHP webserver at school: It doesnt get heavy useage but we run
VNC, a chat server, ftp server, MySQL and Apache/PHP on Win98 and dont have
any problems with performance!!!!!

"Brent Rieck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Ricardo,
>   I'd bet that behind a 256kbps connection you'll run out of bandwidth
> long before you run out of CPU, memory, or disk on any machine that
> costs more than about $500USD - but your mileage may vary depending on
> your application.  My personal experience is that behind my DSL
> connection, I run out of bandwidth far before I run out of CPU and
> memory on my PII 233 that's running a reasonably complex web app with
> heavy DB usage.
>
> --Brent
>

> On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 05:30, rick wrote:
> >
> > Dear Members  ,
> >
> >                           Does anybody of you have a webserver at home
> > using ADSL or other connections ?
> >
> > If any , could you tell me What would be the acceptable Hardware to run
> > 5 or more sites  at home with an
> > 256 k ADSL ? (Memory , proccesor , etc etc )
> >

> > Do I have to have Two Servers ? (The WebServer ) and the Intranet Server
> > to access through my computer ?
> >
> > Would you help me please in a near future with a few questions about how
> > to set up and so on .....???
> >

> > Thanks  guys in advance
> >
> > Ricardo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well, I just finished a ftp program that originally used php to catch the
uploaded file, but soon realized the it did load it into memory then dump it
into a file.  I finally ended up using perl running with xinetd to capture
the uploaded file and drop it into a file.  then let php play with it from
there.

Jim