I almost forgot add a or mysql_error() for each line like this:
<?php
// database connect script
$dbhostname = "localhost";
$dbuser = "db_user_name";
$dbpasswd = "db_password";
$dbname= "db_name";
$link = mysql_connect("$dbhostname", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd")
        echo mysql_error();
mysql_select_db("$dbname")
        echo mysql_error();
?>

This will return "human readable error messges"
Can you onto mysql database from command.
mysql -u root -p mysql
or mysql -u root mysql # A root password isn't usally get during install.

if so:
>select user,host,password from user;

then:
select user,host,db from db;

My quesss you don't have any permission for the databases or to connect
to local host. If this is correct do:

GRANT ALL on db_name.* TO you@local host idendified by 'your_password';