One way to pass a variable by clicking on a hyperlink is to make the
HREF attribute of the anchor tag into a querystring with the variable
that you want to pass.

If you want to pass the variable "$user_id" to the next page, with a
value of "289", here is how you could do it:

But keep in mind that this will pass the variable along in the browser's
URL bar.  Also realize that you may need to use the variable
$_GET['user_id'] (instead of just $user_id) if your php.ini file has
"register_globals" set to OFF.

Any variables passed along in a querystring like this are available as
elements of the $_GET array, from what I understand, as an easy way to
send a variable (as opposed to the more lengthy "hidden form field"
method).

Erik