I don't think that there's an easy way to do it in MySQL.  I usually use
some hack along the lines of, "select x from t where x = $y", and if
there are any results returned, return a message of some sort ("That
value already exists in the database!").

Bear in mind that sometimes people have very similar contact
information.  At the university where I used to work, there were two
employees who shared the same first, middle, and last names, as well as
birth dates, and their social security numbers differed by exactly one
digit.  A rare circumstance, to be sure, but not impossible.

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]