You only need to register the variable once when you initiate the session.
Also as of php 4.1 I believe you do not have to register your session vars
you can just acccess them like $_SESSION['counter']:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

Basically what I see you're doing is reregistering the variable on each page
which initializes it as 0 and so when you do $counter++ you're always going
to get 1..

Hope this helps!

Rick

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life
is made of." - Ben Franklin