Thanks, everyone for responding... after much headache I seem to have got it
working.  (not fixed, but working.)  I was running php 4.0.6 on linux where
the code worked.  I just installed php 4.0.4pl1 on the freebsd box and now
everything works great.  It was probably not the best solution, but it
works... and after this project php/apache will not be used on that server
anyway, so I guess that having an older version is not the worst thing to do
=)

-Jeff

> Your code works fine on my FreeBSD box running php 4.0.4pl1 but not one
running php 4.0.6 ...  May explain your linux issues? i.e. versions of php