First, I recommend installing PHP4.  There's a host of new features.

Second, it sounds like your problem may be that you compiled PHP without
mysql support.  The command for PHP4 is, I believe, "--with-mysql" when you
call the configure script.

Get PHP 4.1.1 from the site (I downloaded it from the default site and got a
busted file, so I recommend downloading it from a mirror).  Look through the
Installation part of the manual for a complete list of config commands so
you can install everything you may need.

Mike Frazer