What I am trying to do is have a line of text break at a "space" after reading 19
words.  Having read the various methods of finding and replacing one character with
another, I settled on preg_replace as my best choice, but this function doesn't accept
a space in the regular expression slot.  What can I do to get around this, or is there
a better function than the one I selected?

$statement=preg_replace(" ","<br>",$original,19);

 Warning:  Empty regular expression in /home/www/host/document.php on line 71