I would like to prevent users from uploading a file
that contains more than 4 pipes or less than 2 pipes.
The code below prevents users from uploading a file
containing more than 4 pipes, but not less than 2
pipes.  Should I use awk, ereg, or sed?  Thanks

system ("/bin/cat $userfile|/bin/sed -n
's/.*|.*|.*|.*|.*|/&/p'> pipes.txt;
$fd =fopen("pipes.txt", 'r');
$pipes5=fgets($fd,50);
echo ($pipes5);
fclose($fd);

if ($pipes5) {
  print "wrong number of pipes";
}

The uploaded file below should not pass but it does:

aaaaa|bbbbb|ccccc|ddddd|eeeee
aaaaa|bbbbb|ccccc|
aaaaa|bbbbb|ccccc|ddddd
aaaaa|bbbbb