First, I'm going to apologize for posting when I don't even lurk any
more, much less contribute. :-|

Those of you who remember me from back in the day will probably
forgive me -- Those of you who don't, well, what can I say?  "Time
and Tools" is how an old friend and I used to put it.

Speaking of Tools (and Time, for that matter), the REAL purpose of
this post is to announce that I've (finally!) gotten around to fixing
the cobbler's kid's shoes, and the "PHP Technology Comparisons" page
is back in operation.

This page originally started when I got tired of the "Which PHP
Shopping Cart Is Best?" thread (for the 40th time) back around in
1998, I think...  I decided it was time to once and for damn well all
survey the public and get the answer and never have to sit through
*THAT* thread again.  (Well, in theory...)

Anyway, this application will probably win an award for crudest
interface of all time, but the darn thing works.  (Dammit Jim, I'm a
Programmer, not a Designer!)

And, since you see the previous voter's results as you vote, no
pollster worth their salt (or whatever pollsters get paid in) is
going to consider it valid.  Yeah, whatever.

I did at least replace the text headings across the top with some
nifty dynamic images with vertical text, so you only have to scroll
half as much horizontally as you used to...  As if anybody even
remembers the stupid page that's been dead for half a year or so...
You still can't see all the features at once, but it's half as bad as
it was. :-)

Of course, in fixing it up, I've decided to start adding new
Technologies to compare every month or so (solely subject to my whim,
of course).

At the moment, the comparison in question is:
(drum roll please)

"PHP Optimization Technologies"

So whether you think the Zend Cache is the bomb or not, here's your
chance to vote for it on the features and technologies *YOU* think
matter.

Anybody on the planet (okay, anybody who can use a web-browser) can
nominate their favorite (or most-hated) "Solution", and, similarly,
anybody on the planet (repeat disclaimer) can nominate an important
"Feature".

Voting is strictly on the honor system, since you know and I know
that *ANY* on-line poll can be rigged, schemed, gamed, or otherwise
hacked, I've decided to not even *bother* with *ANY* kind of control
whatsoever other than your honor.

Think of it as an wide-open free-form People's Choice meets Consumer
Reports, where you decide what the features to compare are, and you
decide which products to rate, and, come to think of it, you decide
which ones are the best.

Fortunately, this is the 'Net and we all end up with the collective
wisdom of as many of you as bother vote, instead of 6 mystery guys in
the employ of Consumer Reports, eh?

Naturally, the old PHP Shopping Cart results are still available, and
you can even vote on the old survey[s] if you want (mostly because it
was easier to leave it alone than to hack it to stop you from voting).

So if you're looking for a shopping cart, and want to see how they
all stack up, this is the place.

Similarly, if you're looking to get more out of your PHP-enabled
web-server, you know what to do:

http://l-i-e.com/compare/

Release the hounds!!!

PS  I was going to do "PHP Code Profilers" only there don't seem to
*BE* any :-(  Please, somebody prove me wrong...
--
Got Music? http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm