> The other reason is that the parser needs help resolving ambiguity with
> more complex expressions inside strings. If you use this syntax all the
> time, you won't get bitten in the butt later.

I've used the ${$var} to resolve the ambiguity of variable variables, but I
wasn't aware that if could solve the problem with arrays within strings.
I've always broke out of the string for the array part, and concatenated the
rest of the string after that.  I thought that was ugly, so of late I had
been using the unquoted index inside strings.

Thanks, Lars, for setting me straight on this.