On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 05:40  PM, mojo jojo wrote:

> Hi Phillip
>
> Yes, thanks this does help.
>
> The problem with the tutorials that I have seen so far is that they are
> very
> simplistic and therefore do not reveal the benefits of this style of
> programming.
>
> If anybody knows of any good tutorials, I would appreciate a link.

FWIU, part of the problem is that, while PHP can simulate the way OOP
works, it's not truly object oriented.  For instance, in PHP you can
only extend a class once (I might be wrong but I heard that somewhere).
FWIU, a language like Python or Java is able to do quite a bit more with
objects, and Python and Java both are very well-suited to larger
applications (rather than the typical Perl or PHP script) which can
benefit better from having these classes available for defining objects.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it myself.  To date, the only
way I've seen objects successfully used in PHP is in Larry Ullman's "PHP
Advanced for the WWW (Visual QuickPro Guide, PeachPit Press)".  It's
used to separate the HTML page used in a PHP script from the PHP code
itself, and it works very very well.  There are probably hundreds of
other applications in PHP that make effective use of objects, but I
haven't seen them.

Just yesterday I spent four hours trying to create a class that could
help me manage the numerous forms that are used on the site I am
developing.  Unfortunately, my complete inexperience with this resulted
in frustration and I gave up, going back to functions.  I'm also not
very intelligent, and working with classes and objects requires the
programmer to be able to abstract their data in a way that I haven't yet
learned to do.  Sigh... someday.

Erik

----

Erik Price