Because I'm not a hacker on the PHP engine, I don't really know but I also
saw this symbol when learning C++ recently. It is used in C++ as a shortcut
to dereferencing and accessing an objects properties/methods on objects
which are on the free store (heap). Normally C++ uses the dot operator to
access methods/properties (eg. "foo.do()"), but when the object needs to
first be dereferenced, then "foo->do()" can be used as a shortcut to
"(*foo).do()".

Of course, this doesn't help you at all does it :) But I thought it was an
interesting connection to C++ and maybe hints at how PHP internally manages
objects. Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

[TK]