Philip thanks for the tip-off to the mysql_list_fields() function.. that
simplifies things quite a bit.  Problem solved. :)

I'm still wondering about the other method though.  I noticed the
"DESCRIBE table_name" method in the MySQL docs but couldn't figure out
how to use it.  Alone it seems to return information about only the
first column...

<?
$query = "DESCRIBE montileaux_events ";
$result = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query($query))
foreach ($result as $key => $val)
{
        echo "$key : $val <br>";
}