here is a function used to authenticate users against mysql database.
Problem is, I am not connecting for some reason.  I have the db variables:
$db_host
$db_user
$db_pass
$db_name

They are populated from an include ("x.php") in the beginning of the php
section.  It is getting past the connect statement, but it is not selecting
the proper database, and gives a:

"Error in query: No Database Selected"

in the error trap below (die).  Any ideas what is wrong?  Am I missing some
syntax, or what?
Thanks.

Patrick

######################################

function authenticate($user, $pass)
{

        // check login and password
        // connect and execute query
        $connection = mysql_connect($db_host, $db_user, $db_pass) or die ("Unable
to connect!");
        $query = "SELECT id from users WHERE username = '$user' AND password =
PASSWORD('$pass')";
        mysql_select_db($db_name);
        //mysql_select_db("devweb"); <--what it should be, from file
        $result = mysql_query($query, $connection) or die ("Error in query: " .
mysql_error());

        // if row exists -> user/pass combination is correct
        if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1)
        {
                return 1;
        }