Thanks for all the help so far, great to have others out there helping.

Only way it will let me connect is to explicitly use the connection
information in the connect statement and the select_db statements, can't
pass in the variables.

This seems a little on the insecure side, and a pain.  Is it supposed to be
like this, or is it just something that is wrong on my php implementation?
It would just be nice to have the connection information in 1 file, so that
if it is updated or changed, it can be modified in one file, instead of all
files that need it.

Thanks for the help!

-Patrick