Hi,
    It sounds like you are experiencing a similar problem to one I had.  It seems
there are some problems with setting cookies when using IIS, and as I understand it
one of the ways that sessions work is by storing the data in a cookie on the clients
machine.  On the page at www.php.net it suggests appending the session id to the url,
go here to look at that http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php,

An example of this would be;

"<?php
if (!session_is_registered('count')) {
    session_register('count');
    $count = 1;
}
else {
    $count++;
}
?>

Hello visitor, you have seen this page <?php echo $count; ?> times.<p>;

<?php
# the <?php echo SID?> (<?=SID?> can be used if short tag is enabled)
# is necessary to preserve the session id
# in the case that the user has disabled cookies
?>

To continue, <A HREF="nextpage.php?<?php echo SID?>">click here</A>"

on the notes at the bottom someone said this, sounds like a similar problem,

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]
01-Apr-2002 04:30

Using PHP 4.1.2 on IIS 5.0, Win2k, haven't migrated app yet to Linux
(later!)
Managed to eventually get the sessions to work as follows.
In the php.ini, session.auto_start = 1
Then without a session_start();
$xvar = "something" ;
Use
session_register("xvar");
then u CAN retrieve from a later page using the new way:
$var = $_SESSION["xvar"] ;
also without session_start();
even doing a var_dump($_SESSION); seems to work at least some of the time!

The odd thing is that storing vars using the new way:
$_SESSION["xvar"] = "something";
will save only for the CURRENT page, this gets lost when moving on to the
best regards
Mike"

Hope this helps with your problem,

Steve.