I've never seen that nl2rb would return me <BR /> instead of the
traditional <BR>. But it did.

Is that normal or it that a bug?

Here's some test code:

<?

$text = "

Hello

this is
the
silliest

test

I can

ever

invent

";

echo nl2br($text);

echo "on machine: $SERVER_SOFTWARE";

?>

returns me such HTML:

----------

Hello

this is
the
silliest

test

I can

ever

invent

Linux/1.2mdk) mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6 PHP/4.0.6]
----------

I've triple-checked for what ANSI characters I had there. They were
fine. And as you can read below, there were the same as when nl2br used
to return me <br>.

The problem has never occurred to me on any of the previous machines
site was hosted on. It does on this one though, with even the same
version of PHP and the same data from DB. I've noticed this problem
because I had a RegEx after nl2br() that always worked till we migrated
on a new server, then my expression has obviously stopped to work
because of that extra space and slash nl2br kindly provided me with.
Temporarily fixed with another RegEx. But, I was wondering, is a known
bug or it's because of my machine? Other than that nothing has
changed...

Enlighten me on this, please. Did I miss a bug report?

Sincerely,

Maxim Maletsky
Founder, Chief Developer

PHPBeginner.com (Where PHP Begins)