I could really use your help with this.  The examples I have received from
everyone thus far have not worked, including the last one that you posted.
This is the situation:

I have multiple domains, each with multiple subdomains, all of which
automatically point to the root of my web environment.  I have only one file
that does all of the work for all of these websites/webpages, and that is
the index.php file in the root.  This file is smart enough to parse the url
being accessed and create an appropriate page based on a very complex set of
rules.

Originally, I was using the ErrorDocument 404 to make it access the
index.php file, but this has some inherent flaws.  The biggest problem was
that forms that were being posted to a page that doesn't really exist never
maintained the posted variables (due to the 404 redirect.)  Another
limitation was that it just created a bunch of unnecessary error messages in
my error log since there are no "real pages" on my network, even though it
pretends there is.

So, I need to use mod_rewrite.  That is apparent now.  The problem is I know
nothing about creating regular expressions.  I simply need it to rewrite the
url for any file that does not exist (it should not try to do so for a file
that really does exist, say an image file) and it needs to have the
following rule:

A*.B*.C*/D*.E*

Where A is a subdomain; B is the domain name; C is the top level domain; D/E
are a file or directory.

Some examples would be:

http://www.swifte.net/
http://www.cao.swifte.net/petition-sign.html
http://hsdnetwork.swifte.net/technicians.html
http://www.hsdnetwork.swifte.net/technicians.html
http://www.caofund.org/
http://www.hsdnetwork.com/

Can you tell me how to do this?  I would appreciate your help so much!!

-Samuel