I don't know who you are Frank..

 But I understand and support you entirely..

 I could write my own 1500 word post like you..

 But you've covered it all

 I always see the { } pair used when there is only one statement, and also
 this weird

 if(expression)
 {
   statement
 }
 else
 {
   statement 2
 }

 blocks are VERY weird and hard to understand.

 I prefer and use for every lang. Including C++, Object Pascal, java, PHP,
 Perl:

 if(expression) {
   statement block
   if(expression2) {
     statementblock 2
   }
 } else {
   statement if
 }

 in a text editor these blocks are easily read and the double spacing (not
 tabs) I use makes it REALLY easy to find and track code during debugging..

 sometimes I see loops in conditional statements mixed with functions and
 this neverending mass of curly braces and I am very confused trying to fix
 their code..

 SO I try as hard as possible so suggest my method as it makes reading much
 easier..

 I do understand where you are coming from with your starting { being in
line
 with the actual expression it refers to... Hmm yes but as I always indent
 for loops, conditional expressions, etc.. anything that needs curly braces
 will easily see that if the code doesn't return back to the first column
 something is wrong

 Eg..

 if(exp1) {
   if(exp2) {
     ..do that..
   } else {
     while(x<y) {
       ..do this..

 and I can clearly see the last brace finishes again on col 1.. SO i know
all
 is good..

 Hard in email to show as the character spacing is not equal like good text
 editors..

 but paste it in your editor you'll see what I mean..

 Thanks for your support.. Should have more people following these readable
 standards in the world!

 :  Julien Bonastre [The-Spectrum.org CEO]
 :  A.K.A. The_RadiX
 :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 :  ABN: 64 235 749 494
 :  QUT Student :: 04475739