The # is used to point to an anchor on a page. Usually, you need the anchor
name after the hash symbol, i.e. http://www.example.com/#anchor.

However, in this case, odds are it's a JavaScript thing. In some older
browsers, like pre-Netscape 4.7, I believe, when you created a link that
had an onClick event in it, you still had to provide a real link to make it
work. By using the hash symbol on the same page as the one you're on, you
don't have to reload the page, and the JavaScript still executes.

At least, I seem to remember having to do that a few times...