> i would have thought that server-side redirects are no problem for
crawlers.

That's what i would have thought too. mod_rewrite is an alternativ for
virtual domains. if you request www.mydomain.com it doesn't matter
to the server if you have virtual domains or mod_rewrite. both got
redirected to the local directory. If you're using virtal domains,
you say www.mydomain.com's document_root is /wwwroot/mydomain_com/.
If you're using mod_rewrite you say the same, but you have a rule which
translates
the url to it's document_root path, so you don't have to set virtual domains
for every domain on the server. imo there's no other difference, so it also
shouldn't make any difference to any user, no matter if it's a crawler or
regular user.

Regards Michael

"Adrian Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
001301c1fd8e$9f14ac00$02646464@ade">news:001301c1fd8e$9f14ac00$02646464@ade...
Hi all,
firstly: i know nowt about search engines/crawlers spiders really.
i'm giving users fake sub-domains i.e
www.username.mysite.com gets redirected to
www.mysite.com/users/sites/username via mod_rewrite/wildcard dns
so i'm wondering if search engines will have any trouble indexing those
sites.
i was talking to an 'internet consultant' who
has a flash red sports car and earns about 5 times more than me and he said
i should look into this.
i would have thought that server-side redirects are no problem for crawlers.
i set up a google adwords thingy for one of the sites and it
worked for a while but now they've come back to me saying the url
doesn't work when it clearly does.i've asked the google folks about this and
am waiting for them to get back.
was just wondering if anyone had experience of this sort of thing.
thanks
adrian