php-general Digest 17 May 2002 12:02:32 -0000 Issue 1350

Topics (messages 97988 through 98049):

Re: Can anyone help me save img from URL?
        97988 by: Victor Polyushko

Re: Done w/ PHP - VB or C# ?
        97989 by: Miguel Cruz
        97990 by: Victor Polyushko
        97991 by: Peter

Re: Date and time functions
        97992 by: Miguel Cruz
        97993 by: David Freeman

Re: PHP and MySQL
        97994 by: Miguel Cruz

Re: Newline in fputs
        97995 by: Miguel Cruz

remote fetching??
        97996 by: Gerard Samuel
        98004 by: Miguel Cruz

PHP in HTML
        97997 by: Jeremy
        97998 by: Justin French
        97999 by: Peter
        98007 by: Jerome Houston
        98008 by: Peter
        98009 by: Jason Wong
        98010 by: Miguel Cruz
        98013 by: Peter
        98017 by: Miguel Cruz
        98019 by: Peter

Re: Generate every possible combination
        98000 by: Lance Lovette

Re: Passing to an Applet
        98001 by: Dennis Moore
        98002 by: Peter

can any one see a problem with this script?
        98003 by: Peter
        98005 by: Steve Buehler
        98006 by: Peter
        98011 by: Jason Wong

Sending data from java applet on client ?
        98012 by: Marco Laponder

Can anyone help me with fopen ?
        98014 by: Roman Duriancik
        98022 by: Jason Wong

Multiple Upload using list
        98015 by: Triax
        98021 by: Jason Wong

Problem with sending information with quotes
        98016 by: Rosen
        98018 by: Miguel Cruz

Re: [PHP-DEV] Console application with PHP
        98020 by: D Lau

DOMXML question
        98023 by: peter tatischev

Looking for web based email
        98024 by: Craig
        98025 by: Mark Harwood
        98026 by: Brian McGarvie

file error
        98027 by: Roman Duriancik

Using php as a scripting language within cron jobs?
        98028 by: Henry Grech-Cini
        98030 by: Jason Wong
        98031 by: Jon Haworth
        98034 by: David Robley
        98039 by: Brian McGarvie
        98046 by: Michael Virnstein
        98047 by: Brian McGarvie
        98049 by: Jon Haworth

Re: some Javascript functions with PHP
        98029 by: savaidis

Re: Gettext and PHP4.2.0?
        98032 by: Danny Shepherd

Query/Error
        98033 by: Anthony Rodriguez
        98040 by: Jason Wong

search engine indexing and redirects
        98035 by: Adrian Murphy
        98044 by: Michael Virnstein

Installing PHP with Apache and Sybase on Linux
        98036 by: Vivek Kumar Agrawal
        98038 by: Jason Wong
        98042 by: Vivek Kumar Agrawal

array question
        98037 by: Josh Edwards
        98041 by: Jason Wong

PHP,CyberCash,Verisign,PayFlow
        98043 by: r

problem with strtolower()
        98045 by: David Orn Johannsson

Executing PHP code throught a protected directory on IIS...
        98048 by: Brian McGarvie

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
BINGO!! thank you guys for your input
I used a very simple command to accomplish that and it works!!
<?
$command="wget http://domain.com/images/somepic.gif";;
system( $command, $result);
echo $result; ?>

Victor Polyushko

From: Justin French <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Your Apache config file will be set to only parse PHP pages if they have the
.php extension.... this is a feature, not a big, because otherwise every
html page on your server will be parsed, rather than just the php ones...
you could modify your apache config iff you wished, but I wouldn't.  .html
for HTML, .php for PHP, all is well.

Justin French

on 17/05/02 12:14 PM, Jeremy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

 > Hi Folks,
 >
 > A simple question that has me puzzled, obviously I have a config file
wrong
 > somewhere..
 >
 > Why does a filename.php file run as php and a filename.html with php code
 > embedded not produce a php result?
 >
 > cheers,
 >
 > Jeremy Burton
 > Senior Consultant
 > PERTH TOURIST LOUNGE
 >
 > Level 2 Carillon City
 > Murray Street, Perth
 > Ph: +618 9229 2238
 > Fax: +618 9229 2220
 > Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

<snip>

there are also possible good reasons for sending .html files through php.
like if you don't want users to know that your website is written in php.

-jerome
</snip>

a better way to do that would be to make up your own extension so instead of
having your server use .php for php files make it use .web or what ever you
like ...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Friday 17 May 2002 13:33, Jerome Houston wrote:
> yeah, just find in your web server where to tell it what kind of files to
> send through php.
>
> there are also possible good reasons for sending .html files through php.
> like if you don't want users to know that your website is written in php.

Unless it has been configured otherwise, they can tell from the HTTP headers
that you're using php.

/*
A student who changes the course of history is probably taking an exam.
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Peter wrote:
>> there are also possible good reasons for sending .html files through
>> php. like if you don't want users to know that your website is written
>> in php.
>
> a better way to do that would be to make up your own extension so
> instead of having your server use .php for php files make it use .web or
> what ever you like ...

Why is that better?

There are certain little weirdnesses that crop up when HTML pages have
file names that fool lesser platforms into thinking they're not HTML,
especially when they try to save them locally.

miguel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I find it better than having every page go thru php not to mention quicker.

>> there are also possible good reasons for sending .html files through
>> php. like if you don't want users to know that your website is written
>> in php.
>
> a better way to do that would be to make up your own extension so
> instead of having your server use .php for php files make it use .web or
> what ever you like ...

Why is that better?

There are certain little weirdnesses that crop up when HTML pages have
file names that fool lesser platforms into thinking they're not HTML,
especially when they try to save them locally.

miguel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Do you really find it noticeable quicker? Benchmarks I've seen (none of
them that current) don't seem to support that. Depending on the software
versions involved, it seems to be anywhere from much faster through PHP to
a few % slower. Certainly no major penalty in any case.

If there's interest I'd be willing to do some benchmarks on a few
different setups to see where things stand with current software.

miguel

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Peter wrote:
> I find it better than having every page go thru php not to mention quicker.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
true there's not that much difference .. though it would depend on the
server's connection speed as well as the machines "grunt" as to how much of
a difference there is.

Do you really find it noticeable quicker? Benchmarks I've seen (none of
them that current) don't seem to support that. Depending on the software
versions involved, it seems to be anywhere from much faster through PHP to
a few % slower. Certainly no major penalty in any case.

If there's interest I'd be willing to do some benchmarks on a few
different setups to see where things stand with current software.

miguel

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Peter wrote:
> I find it better than having every page go thru php not to mention
quicker.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here's the function I use:

// array array_permute(array [, string])
//
// Returns an array containing the permutations of the values in an array.
//
// Example:
// $a = array(1, 2, 3);
// $p = array_permute($a)
//
// Result:
// p[0] = '1,2,3'
// p[1] = '1,3,2'
// p[2] = '2,1,3'
// p[3] = '2,3,1'
// p[4] = '3,2,1'
// p[5] = '3,1,2'
//
function array_permute(&$a, $glue = ',')
{
        $retval = array();
        array_permute_internal($a, $glue, $retval, 0, count($a));
        return $retval;
}

// Private function used by array_permute.
function array_permute_internal(&$a, $glue, &$retval, $depth, $ubound)
{
        if ($ubound > 0)
        {
                for ($i=0; $i < $ubound; $i++)
                {
                        $c = $a[$depth+$i];
                        $a[$depth+$i] = $a[$depth];
                        $a[$depth] = $c;
                        array_permute_internal($a, $glue, $retval, $depth+1,
$ubound-1);
                        $c = $a[$depth+$i];
                        $a[$depth+$i] = $a[$depth];
                        $a[$depth] = $c;