The manual is excellent, once you ask the right question, or know where to
look.  It is a bit daunting as a newbie resource.  However, the search
engine does help in finding a specific function.

The best way to get to that point is to work on some tutorials (even for
things you don't need immediately), at places like:

phpbuilder.com
webmonkey.com
sitepoint.com

There's an exellent set of articles on sitepoint by Kevin, which have got me
through the hard stuff, like sessions :)

I think the guy who runs site point (Kevin Yank) has a great book, the first
4 chapters of which are published on the site.

Good luck.

Justin