Smarty is the only one that I really remember, as far as template
engines.

http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/

There are others, like FastTemplate. Do a search on Google or
SourceForge and you'll come up with a couple dozen.

What they do is separate the code from presentation. Instead of having
code in your HTML file to display how many hits the page has gotten,
you'd have a tag like {accessed_per_day}. The template engine will do
the function to get the number and replace {accessed_per_day} with the
appropriate number.

---John Holmes...