Not sure what your question is....

In the case "password" is not a variable but the value of
the variable, while "admin" is the name of the variable.

Variables passed by url is obtained by GET method, and
in your script all vairables passed by GET method can be
accessed directly. So, in following script,

<?
print $admin;
?>

the result of print will be "password".

If this is not the answer to your quesiton, pls clarify.

Alex