I got it now, thanks a lot. For some reason Mozilla won't let me post to the
newsgroup.

I've used your answer, and another one, and have already made a simple php
script to test the variable and echo "passed" or "failed"

 I'm modifying a php application and the admin file is named "index.php"
[yes that's right] and access to it is not protected.

The application is not very critical and there is no particularly sensitive
material in the DB.  So, I set the .htaccess file to default to the user's
file and thought I'd make access to the "index.php" a little secure with a
password. I've seen other applications with this technique.

Thanks again,