"Rasmus Lerdorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Sure, you could put it that way.  When benchmarking something you really
> should benchmark stuff that you actually care about.  Benchmark PHP
> spewing out a web page after making a couple of SQL queries, for example.
> That's typical usage, so that is what you should benchmark.  Very few PHP
> scripts are going to loop a couple of hundred thousand times to do
> something.
>
> -Rasmus
>
> On Fri, 31 May 2002, Ilia A. wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that running a comparison benchmarks between PHP and any
other
> > language would in many cases show PHP to be slower simply because it's
> > looping code is slow? [...]

It is typical usage, yes, but the conversation that gave me the idea to do
the quick speed comparison was the idea that PHP can be used for more than
just web-scripting. I have a couple maintenance PHP scripts that run
command-line (usually management/maintenance programs for a large PHP+MySQL
app), and there is the entire php-gtk project as well. (The whole
conversation started because I pondered the idea of maybe writing a Win32
API extension for PHP)

And a loop in PHP isn't exactly non-typical. I'd need more fingers and toes
to count how many times I've wrote "while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{ ... }"

-- Daniel Grace