As a result of my original request, I now have half a dozen ways of doing
this using php, perl, python and tr :)

I guess this is sort of on topic because there may be PHP
programmers who want to do this without writing a PHP script that
probably has to be run by a web server.

Anyway, someone on the Python list suggested this variety of tr:

tr -d '\015' <infile >outfile

I haven't tested this. 015 is the numeric code for "\r".

Mick

--
n   i   n   t   i  .   c   o   m