Your problem is undoubtably to do with the difference in line endings on
mac/pc/unix.

Basically, when PHP parses your file, it see's it all as one line, and is
finding the error on LINE 1, which is correct.

When the same file is saved on a unix or pc system, the line endings are
different, and PHP recognises them.

I'm using BBEdit Lite as a text editor on my Mac, and it has the option of
saving the file in Mac, PC or Unix format, to combat this problem.

Look for a simular feature in your text editor (try search for "file
format", or "line endings" in your help files, or grab BBEdit ($) or BBEdit
lite (!$) from bare bones software.

Justin French