The only problem I know of with IE and using the header() function is
when you use the header function like this:

header("Location: http://www.php.net/";);

IE will correctly realize that it needs to make a second request (GET,
no matter what type of request the original was), but it fails to
include any cookie information in this second request.

To solve this, I have read where people use relative URLs instead of
full (even though this goes against the HTTP definition) such as this:

header("Location: ./index.html");

This may have little to do with whatever problem you are experiencing,
but if it's the "Location" header with IE that is giving you trouble,
this is worth trying just to see if it is a workaround for you. Most
other browsers I have tried (Galeon, Konqueror, Opera, Netscape, lynx)
will correctly interpret the relative URL as well, and only lynx
complains. :)

Chris