>Hi, I'm trying to install PHP 4.2.1 on SuSE SLES 7.3 and I get the following
>error message
>
>checking lex output file root... ./configure: lex: command not found
>configure: error: cannot find output from lex; giving up

lex is like this low-level thingie that lets PHP syntax like
if/else/while/for get defined.
[Gross over-simplification of the whole process, but not totally
inaccurate.]

So, like, you have to have lex installed to build PHP.

The thing is, it's a pretty common thing to have, so it's *MOST* likely on
your computer somewhere, just PHP isn't finding it...

Try these, in order, to see if you have lex somewhere:

whereis lex
locate lex
find / -name lex -print

The last one will take a *LONG* time, maybe...

Once you figure out where "lex" is, you need to get that directory into your
"$path" (or $PATH) variable.

Try these:

echo $PATH
echo $path

Depending on your OS and the phase of the moon, one of them will output
something.

Whichever it is, you need to alter.  How to alter it depends on your OS and
shell and the phase of the moon.  I usually go digging through my .profile
and any .*sh* files in my home directory:

cd
ls -als

And in one of those files that starts with a "." for the file name I can
usually find out how to alter my $PATH ($path).

If, by some miracle, you don't *HAVE* lex, you can almost-for-sure install
it from your original CDs or find it using Google.

The preceeding all assume a minimal level of Un*x skill...  Which is what
I've got.  YMMV.  Not applicable in all OS'es.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm