On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Uwe Birkenhain wrote:
> A question - since english is not my first language - what do you mean with
> >It's not all that common to bury constants in strings
>
> Is something bad about it?

I think so. It would slow parsing down to a crawl and create a host of
ambiguities if every letter that ever appeared in a string had to be
compared against the list of defined constants (after all, you might have
a constant called 'a'). With normal variables, it only has to worry about
it when there's a $ before it or {} around it, which is much simpler.

miguel