Привет!

Mark Charette wrote:
> LIMIT was not included in the SQL92 SQL standards and very few vendors
> implement all of SQL99; the use of ANSI standards to promote "portable"
> programs has always been beset by this kind of problems.

Yes, and vendors just love to have proprietary standards to protect
their market shares. The basic idea is that since you cannot just switch
from an engine to another without seriously risking your application
stability you will tolerate the "yes, it's a known bug" answer, whenever
your 100 thousand dollars application cannot print a simple data report
because trying to set fonts size will crash the current job. Or when
real numbers are returned with a different values from the one you wrote
in.

Not talking about MeAndMyFriendJoe'sXperimentalSQLMachineGun 0.0, That
was Oracle 7.3 with Developer (fonts) and Oracle 8.something under WinNT
("floating" real number values).

Eventually they solved both the problems (I have to say they even did it
quick) but you can imagine the atmosphere when the final customer had to
be told that they had invested an overall amount of 25k$ a day for 2
years just not to be able to print a common report and that Oracle just
answered "yes, it's a known bug - bug precedence level: low".

Which actually meant: "go ** yourselves, we ain't got no time for your
stupid customers". If only they could switch engine... But they switched
to their lawyers in instead and kept the engine running, because no ANSI
was there (and because we all knew that no better stability was to be
found on other vendors anyway).

Some things in escaping the ANSI standard are useful, though. Things like
Oracle's DECODE and the LIMIT clause do make query sets smaller and
quicker.
And yet, IMHO most of the opposition to ANSI comes from a mere
commercial point of view.

This way vendors can keep releasing poor alpha stuff and call it a
"stable" release without having to worry about spending test money. Test
is something you are going to do yourself, paying for it with your own
money and your own professional credibility. No wonder vendors are happy
with it.

пока
Альберто
Киев

--

LoRd, CaN yOu HeAr Me, LiKe I'm HeArInG yOu?
lOrD i'M sHiNiNg...
YoU kNoW I AlMoSt LoSt My MiNd, BuT nOw I'm HoMe AnD fReE
tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS
ThE tEsT, yEs It Is
tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS
ThE tEsT, yEs It Is.......