Hi Asaf,

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good solution. One thing I was
wondering about is...  when my PHP script saves the uploaded image to
the web server, how should the image be named [uniquely]? The problem is
that if the user specifes the name of the image file, there's a chance
he'll name another one the same way (and thus overwrite the original). I
was thinking of maybe a dual approach, where the user gives the image
file a name, but then the PHP script appends, say, the table name and
record ID--so as to make the filename unique.

What do you think? Is that how you do it? (Or is there a better way??)

...Rene

On Wednesday, July 10, 2002, at 07:34  AM, Asaf Maruf Ali wrote:

> Hello Rene
>
> We used a similar approach albeit both our PHP scripts and data were on
> the
> same server. We however opted to place html links to the images in the
> MySQL
> db and actual images (GIF's, JPG's)files on the server harddisk.
>
> It works fine with no performance issues.
>

> Hope this helps
>
> Regards
> Asaf Maruf
> PING
>

> I'm working on a simple content management system that uses PHP and
> MySQL for updating a web site's text (stored in a MySQL database). (The
> PHP scripts that do the updating (my stuf) live on one web server, the
> actual DB data to be updated (my client's stuff) live on another.) So
> far, I've only had to he able to update the text content of a
> site--therefore, I've only had to bother to store textual data in the
> client's DB. But now the client wants to be able to upload/change/delete
> certain pictures on their web site--using my CMS tool--so I am faced
> with the following problem:
>
> Do I store all such images in the DB? (Which I understand reduces
> performance.)
>
> Or do I--somehow--store the images as files on the client's web server?
> And if so, how? (Because my PHP scripts are being executed on a
> different server.)
>
> ...Rene
>
> ---
> René Fournier,