The difference between adding a path and not is that without a path the
bundled mysql client library will be used, whereas if you add a path then
your system's mysql client libs will be used.  It is usually a good idea
to use the system libaries if you have them because they are more likely
to match your server version, and if you are linking against other things
that might be linked against the mysql client libraries, then using the
system libraries is a better idea.

-Rasmus